My trip in bullet points:
- Fun drive up listening to Thievery Corporation and U2.
- Hotel room was disappointing. There’s a reason Priceline gets cheaper rooms: they’re the ones the hotels can’t sell otherwise.
- Long wait for dinner – the place I love is usually packed on weekends, so I hoped for better on a Thursday night. Not so much.
- Dinner was magnificent. Cassis margarita, elote, buffalo short ribs in a poblano mole, and crepas de cajeta with a tequila-apple compote, spiced pecans, and cinnamon ice cream. WONDERFUL.
- Slept like a baby, courtesy of being tired, stuffed, sated, and drugged (melatonin).
- Great breakfast: scrambled eggs with cream cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Lovely hike along the banks of a creek, out into the wilderness and out of cell phone range. Sat by the creek and soaked my feet in the cool water. Ate a honeycrisp apple and some sharp cheddar and washed it down with some cool water (not from the creek). Watched the dragonflies. Wrote a haiku.
- Nice drive home with more U2.
And now I’m getting ready to see a movie with a friend. Not a bad vacation.